If you have pets and are looking to rent an apartment, you’re in the right spot. We curated 5 tips to rent with pets to help you increase your chances of finding a pet-friendly property!
1. Start by looking for pet-friendly rentals: Many landlords and property management companies have pet-friendly policies, so start by looking for rentals that specifically allow pets. You can search online classifieds, such as Craigslist, or use a rental website that has a filter for pet-friendly rentals.
2. Be prepared to pay a pet deposit or fee: Some landlords and property management companies may require a pet deposit or charge a pet fee in order to cover any potential damage that your pet may cause. Be prepared to pay this fee in addition to your regular security deposit.
3. Have your pet’s records ready: Many landlords will ask for proof that your pet is up to date on vaccinations and has been spayed or neutered. Having this documentation ready to show can help demonstrate that your pet is well-cared for and not a risk to the property.
4. Be a responsible pet owner: Demonstrate to potential landlords that you are a responsible pet owner by providing references from previous landlords or neighbors who can vouch for your pet’s behavior.
5. Negotiate with the landlord: If you have a hard time finding a pet-friendly rental, you may be able to negotiate with the landlord to allow your pet. This could involve paying a higher deposit or agreeing to certain conditions, such as keeping your pet in a crate while you’re away.
It’s important to remember that while it may be more difficult to find a rental with a pet, it is not impossible. With a little bit of effort and preparation, you can increase your chances of finding a place to call home with your furry friend.
Check out our blog to learn more about pet-friendly living and some helpful tips!